The Spitfire Mk.IX Simulator Cockpit will be made available in the following formats:
- Plans with cutting patterns for CNC routing plywood and laser jet cutting aluminium sheet and mild steel plate.
- Bend diagrams for metal sheeting.
- Cutting details for standard extrusions.
- Purchase some of the more custom bits directly off our site.
- Full assembly drawings and manual.
- SLS Nylon components purchased on our site and printed and distributed through Shapeways Europe or USA.
- Purchase of one plan set provides licence to build one simulator. This may be used privately, commercially or sold on.
- Cost will be US$275 per plan set when these become available. You can expect the final cost to be around US$10,000 when complete (excludes computer and VR hardware for which you can expect an additional US$2000 or so.
- Fully assembled turn-key simulator
- Includes Force Feedback on yaw and roll.
- Enquire for a quote but expect around US$22,300 which excludes shipping. On-site commissioning can be arranged at cost.
We are currently testing and doing quality control on the prototype and will finalise the plans and build manual once these tests have been completed, (expected towards the end of 2019).
We have decided not to pursue motion simulation as VR already induces vertigo in some individuals. Instead we are developing a cost effective G-Force seat which research indicates provides a greater sense of movement and also sustained g-forces. The latter cannot be achieved by motion simulation platforms. These units have to have an algorithm for washing out the effect and resetting to a neutral position prior to providing movement in a new direction.
NOW AVAILABLE: THROTTLE QUADRANT DESKTOP DISPLAY MODEL!
The Spitfire Mk.IX Engine Hand Control has turned out to be such a thing of beauty that we have decided to release it as a Desktop Display Model.
This will have many advantages.
- It provides the hobbyist with a fantastic working desktop display model.
- It provides a glimpse of what is to come for prospective Spitfire Simulator builders.
- To aircraft home builders, it provides a full scale working throttle quadrant that can be adapted to their own requirements. (A modification to the Mixture Control will be made for this, currently it works through the triggering of 2 microswitches at the travel extremes. An extension to the lever will provide for an additional control rod)
Those who are contemplating the purchase of the full set of drawings, cutting patterns and 3D components when they become available, will get the opportunity to assess the quality of the information provided and of the 3D printed components.
The display model covers the full ambit of information to be provided for the complete build, amongst others:
- Waterjet cutting patterns for plywood, aluminium and steel plate
- Assembly drawings
- Parts lists
We have released the plans for the desktop display and have the components ready for purchase from our Shapeways shop now.