VR Cockpit is the way to go.

Home Forums HFS Builders Forum VR Cockpit is the way to go.

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Manchot 10 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

toelarse
    Participant

Posting a link to mine on Face book. A lot of upgrades planned this year. Scale stick, throttle, rpm, gear handle etc, and as many real buttons as possible. The pit is moving in roll and pitch. Well worth the effort. It is not hard to reach those buttons or other things in VR. ( tested out) The Heritage flight sim cockpit is just outstanding and will be a winner in every way! https://www.facebook.com/Spitbua/?ref=bookmarks
    Tore

Manchot
    Keymaster

Hi Tore,

Thank you for making contact and your kind words. Your cockpit looks very nice. Great job on the windscreen and rear glass!
    Good to know the VR positioning is working.

How effective do you find the motion simulation with VR? I am starting to think it may be a recipe for motion sickness? So starting to think about a dynamic seat…

You can always get our plans and build up some more detail on the internals? I do hope to have them out with the prototype built during the first half of this year.

Regards,
    Roel

toelarse
    Participant

Thanks for the nice words 🙂 Building goes on and on and most likely it never ends because you can add details and make things better as long as you wish in my opinion. A great hobby! Motion is at least 40% increased fun factor in my opinion. You dont need to get it to jump around a lot to get the feeling of flying. Im using low priced 12V el actuators with 6″ stroke. ( Pit is balanced) Not going to make it move more than this and they are fast enough too. The pilots head is moving relatively much beacuse the CG is low. ( Below the chair) People are talking a lot about motion sickness with flightsims and VR. Just try to fly real aerobatics in the real world and you get really sick 🙂 I did feel something to begin with when I flew aerobatics in the sim, but not anymore. Relatively many people have tried the sim and and 80% of them did not feel anything bad. My son ( 30 ) did feel something like sickness during the first flights, but thought this was just very cool and realistic and he is right in my opinion. One person was so scared of getting sick that he had to get out of the pit after 5 min of flying! LOL! I wish you all luck with the prototype and those plans you are offering should be very interesting to all of us Spit cockpit builders! You hear from me when I need some of them. 🙂
    Tore

Manchot
    Keymaster

Thanks Tore. Sounds good. One question though, what do you use for motion cancellation of the VR headset? Are your base stations mounted on the cocpit or do you have software for this?

toelarse
    Participant

Both censors are places inside the cockpit. One where the gunsight is and one on the right side. Tracks both hands head and even when your head is outside the pit. A cool thing I use for showing people what VR is. Most people and even flight simmers have never tried it.
    This problem is in my case related to how much the cockpit moves. In mine it happens from time to time when I fly immelmans, half cubans. loops, etc. What actually happens is that you feel a “jump” in the seat and the system puts you back in position safter a few seconds. In some situations it does not feel wrong. X-Sim has a program you can use for tweaking this with STEAM. Looked at it, but I dropped it. I dont have STEAM and I dont think this problem is important enough for risking anything with a new tweaking software. None on of my visiting pilots have ever mention this. They never notice. 🙂 Of course if you focus on this every time you fly it can be annoying.
    We have still generation 1 in VR so most likely this thing will be gone with generation 2 in my opinion. Great to talk to someone with the same idea regarding VR. We are not many and mine is probably the only one until you get yours into action. A screen, no matter how big, is just 2D and just can`t give you this feeling of flying a plane. This is the closest we ever get to flying a Spitfire. 🙂

Tore

Manchot
    Keymaster

Thanks Tore, very interesting. Absolutely agree with you on the experience VR brings. It is early days yet with less than optimal resolutions but already the environment is so much more real than anything else. Add in the physical boundaries and controls and you have something very special. Well done and we will keep in touch!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The forum ‘HFS Builders Forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.